Indirect Evaporative Cooling Systems Solve Another Challenging Brief
All too often, we think of cooling and temperature control in terms of how it affects us directly. Of course, the insistent South African sun does little to help us stay comfortable, but the disparate temperatures that our climate throws at us have an acute effect on certain businesses.
Let’s explore one of them and discover the indirect evaporative cooling solution that they recently implemented to great effect.
The Alpha Pharm Facility, Pretoria
This facility operates within approximately 4 500m² and is responsible for the packing and distribution of some 16 000 pharmaceutical product lines at any given time.
As you would expect, legislation around the storage of pharmaceuticals in strictly controlled by the South African Medicine Control Council (MCC) and one of the key areas under scrutiny is the temperature of the packing and distribution facilities. In addition, the humidity and dust levels need to be carefully controlled.
When seeking a solution to replace their ageing systems, Alpha Pharm noted the following non-negotiable requirements:
- Stable temperature control below 25°C
- Low cost of ownership
- Low running cost
- Positive pressure to prevent dust ingress with filtered air
- Humidity control
Failure to adhere to these basic requirements would result in stock spoiling, compromised packaging materials and wear and tear on their multimillion-dollar robotic picking machine.
As you can see, it wasn’t so much a matter of keeping the staff comfortable and cool, but the entire business success relied on a dependable and robust system which would satisfy these unique requirements.
Indirect Evaporative Cooling Solutions From Crown Technologies
A bank of Climate Wizard coolers was chosen for this task, and with great effect. This solution resulted in:
- Running costs 40 percent lower than what would have been achieved from refrigerated systems.
- A consistent temperature of 22°C as opposed to the required 25°C was achieved, which resulted in lower running costs.
- Less water usage.
- Fresh, cooled air resulting in a healthier working environment
- Positive pressure inside the facility which resulted in lower dust. This was of immediate benefit to the essential mechanics of the centre.
Indeed, the indirect evaporative cooling system is proving itself time and again, waging a successful war against the uncooperative South African climate. Is this a solution that would benefit your business? If so, please feel free to contact the Crowne team who will assist you with pleasure.